Sunday, March 14, 2010

I got the chance to interview my friend Emmett from PXD the other day, after the release of their demo. If you haven't heard it, go check it out already!



So Emmett, what do you do in PlanetxDanger?
I play guitar!


What sparked the name for you guys, I heard some of the other possibilities but why did you guys end up picking PxD?
Hahaha ughh, we started as a joke band. The name is from that ad from back in the day with that robot being like "I'm Astar from Planet Danger, I cant put my arm back on, you can't" and then we decided to be a real band and we played too many shows to change our name. So now we're stuck with it haha


How long have you guys been straight edge for?
Umm I'm not sure for all the other dudes, but I myself have been edge almost 3 years now. Actually I know Craig has been for 4 years.


What bands have inspired the band the most, other than Bob and his gods in Madball?
As far as musically? Man its hard to pin it on one band, especially because I listen to so many different kinds. I just try and write evil sounding shit.


I heard some shit going on that someone said Bob was being an idiot when he was playing on of your first shows. What's the story behind that?
Haha I dunno. You'd have to ask Bob. Unless its about a bit of a tussle that went down once in St Kitts. That was all resolved but yeah some people were talkin on messageboards and stuff.



The new demo sounds heavy, where did you guys go to record? How was the process, and are you happy with the sound?
Thanks, We recorded with our boy Kent Sheehey of BOSS Studios. The process was awesome, and really quick and easy! Kent is the man and I knew exactly how I wanted it to sound and he helped achieve that tremendously. You're gonna see a LOT of Ontario bands with recordings done by him in the next little while.

How would you describe the Barrie hardcore scene compared to the hardcore scene in Toronto? What about the straight edge population?
Umm, as far as actual hardcore goes in Barrie, its us and Shut Eyes, and our close group of friends. But kids are starting to come out more and more which rules. I find Toronto to be mainly only interested in the 80's revival stuff. Most of the kids at the outta town band Toronto shows aren't even from Toronto. As far as straight edge in Barrie? Umm its basically our band, Chris Killingsworth and Drew from Shut Eyes and maybe a couple younger kids I don't know of!

What was the first band that got you into hardcore and the surrounding music scene?
Well I was going to punk shows and stuff first so it kinda naturally progressed. The first show I ever went to was Sum 41 and H20 in grade 7 haha. But my first hardcore show was A Day and A Deathwish in grade 9. My friend Carly told me I'd dig it so I went out, and I did.


Best story about the band people haven't heard.
One time we had a hotdog eating competition and had a whole bunch of leftover hotdogs (street meat size ones) and we went around Craig's neighborhood and put them all on the antennas of cars. The next day Craig saw a dude driving around with a hotdog on his antenna haha


Top 5 Records being played.
Agitator - Demo 2009
Entombed - Wolverine Blues
Shut Eyes - XVII (This rules, get stoked on this release!)
Piece by Piece - Piece by Piece
Owen - At home with (always)


Top 5 Songs making you mosh in your house.
Pantera - Domination (Hardest mosh part)
Bad Seed - Harsh Reality
Converge - Axe To Fall
Foundation - Evaporate
Terror - Not This Time


Oprah Winfrey, Hilary Clinton, and Paris Hilton. You have to marry one, kill one, and screw one. Go.
Kill 'Em All.

No comments: